Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Lady Wisdom and Madame Whore Invite Me For Dinner



After an extremely difficult day filled with discouragement and disappointment, I asked my Father to share with me insight from His word. I felt so lost and thoughts of abandoning all I have been working so hard to save coursed through my veins like ice water. Doubt filled my mind and the message of the world started to slip into my thoughts. One word kept running through my mind, Bail! Bail! Bail while you still have your dignity. Bail. It will be so much easier! The word taunted me, drew me into its way of thinking. It sounded good. The idea was enticing. Think how much better life would be. Then, I flipped open The Message - a bible that sits in another room that I don't refer to often, and this is the what it opened up to:

Proverbs 9
Lady Wisdom Gives a Dinner Party
Lady Wisdom has built and furnished her home;
it's supported by seven hewn timbers.
The banquet meal is ready to be served: lamb roasted,
wine poured out, table set with silver and flowers.
Having dismissed her serving maids,
Lady Wisdom goes to town, stands in a prominent place,
and invites everyone within sound of her voice:
"Are you confused about life, don't know what's going on?
Come with me, oh come, have dinner with me!
I've prepared a wonderful spread--fresh-baked bread,
roast lamb, carefully selected wines.
Leave your impoverished confusion and live!
Walk up the street to a life with meaning."

Madame Whore Calls Out, Too.
Then there's this other woman, Madame Whore--
brazen, empty-headed, frivolous.
She sits on the front porch
of her house on Main Street,
And as people walk by minding
their own business, calls out,
"Are you confused about life, don't know what's going on?
Steal off with me, I'll show you a good time!
No one will ever know--I'll give you the time of your life."
But they don't know about all the skeletons in her closet,
that all her guests end up in hell.

Here's what God was saying to me. "There are two paths to choose here Becky. One path is wisdom. It is well planned, well thought through. It is serving and gracious. It is loving and giving. It takes effort and work. It is rich and satisfiying. It nourishes the mind and soul. The other path is folly. It is the whore, beckoning you to think about yourself, have a good time, do what feels good in this moment. Don't serve others, serve you. It is by far the easiest of the two paths. It requires less of you. It makes you feel good in the moment. It is also satisfying, temporarily. You're at a crucial time here Becky. Do you choose Lady Wisdom or Madame Whore. Do you listen to me, or to the father of lies. He is the whore. He wants you to bail, Becky. He's saying bail, I'm saying believe."

And so, I'll believe, with God's help. I will have dinner with Lady Wisdom. And the weight has lifted from my chest and the fog drifts away from my mind. I can breath easier again. I will love another day Lord. I will love.

6 Comments:

Blogger An Ordinary Christian said...

God specializes in stretching us past what is normal for us, doesn't He? Oh, how I hate that and love that about Him. "Don't grow weary in well-doing, for you will reap a harvest if you don't give up."

9:08 p.m.  
Blogger David Warren Fisher said...

Becky: I've been there! I'm standing with you now! Glad you chose to dine with Lady Wisdom.

Lots of love,

David

9:17 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."

Matthew 7:13-14


God bless!

3:19 a.m.  
Blogger Lightseeker said...

Absolutely an awesome post! Something I needed to hear this morning!

God bless you as you inspire those that read your blog.

4:46 a.m.  
Blogger Saija said...

it is our choice isn't it?
good thoughts ...

7:28 p.m.  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Every day I read your posts and every day the same word comes to mind: WOW! You are a much stronger woman than I, my friend. Oh, Satan is so clever with those hooks he dangles in front of us, so well disguised. And it's SO easy to take the bait. You will be blessed for resisting his evil plots. Thank you so much for blessing my heart.

7:33 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home