Saturday, August 20, 2005

When God Says, "Love."


Tonight, I feel an urgency to write about love. Not the kind of love that the world sells, but the kind of love Christ reflected and God commanded. Not the kind of love that gives up when it no longer 'feels good'. Not the kind of love that promises forever but really means as long as it's easy. No, I mean the kind of love that requires something of us. Love that requires us to die to self. That's not a very popular ideology today. Why should I have to die to self? Surely, we [women] have come a long way from those days when we suffered in silence and obeyed without question. Why should I hang on when it no longer feels good? Surely it is more important to find happiness and live to please me. Why should I persevere when all around me, others are giving up and jumping ship? Surely, no one would judge me, I've already given it my best. No one would blame me for quitting now. These are thoughts and questions I face daily as I talk with God and walk amongst family and friends who would be relieved to see me move on. It would be so much easier for everyone.

Well, I'm here to tell you tonight, that I am a strong woman, I am a confident woman and I am an intelligent woman. And I will not give up on love. I will continue to persevere. I will endure and die to self and hold my tongue and serve and uplift and encourage. I will love. Not because it's easy, not because I have some super-human capacity to love. I will go on loving because this is what God has called me to do. This is my reflection to Joe of Christ's love for him. This is my gift to our marriage. This was my promise, my vow.

This past week I have been told: "You are being led around by your nose. You are being taken advantage of. You deserve better. No one will blame you for giving up. You need to look out for yourself now. You've done all you can. Dump him. Move on. He's not worth it. And on and on and on..."

And so, I ignored all those voices and I asked God and He just keeps saying this one word over and over to me. "Love." That's it, just love. I ask Him for wisdom and the right words and insight. And He says, "Love." I ask Him for a sign, for peace, for a miracle. And He says, "Love." I ask Him to intervene, to change, to heal and He says, "Love."

Is there someone in your life that has hurt you, disappointed you, let you down? Put aside your anger, your hurt and all of your rights and just ask Christ to fill you to overflowing with love. And let Him do the rest. Whatever the outcome for me, I will know that I have loved with all my heart and all my soul and God's will, will be done.

10 Comments:

Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

Wonderful Post!! I had a similar experience in my past. God took something ugly and made it into something very beautiful, because I too decided to trust Him and to love unconditionally.

A friend once told me, True Love is not conveinent, it is not a feeling, it is a committment. That did it for me. I realized 1 Cor. 13 was my example of love. Not taking into acct any wrong suffered.

God's ways are not our ways and His thoughts are not our thoughts. I have found with every thing that comes my way, even the difficult things, that when I trust Him...He is always faithful, He always works it out better in the end than I ever thought it could be!!

10:35 p.m.  
Blogger IMO said...

I'm trying, but so far, you are doing better than I.

1:10 p.m.  
Blogger Joe said...

Right attitude! You are responsible for your response to God's leadership. His is to respond to God's leadership in his life. If one or the other chooses NOT to respond correctly, that is NOT the responsibility of the other. (did that make sense?)

God bless you and give you great peace.

3:04 p.m.  
Blogger Joe said...

Right attitude! You are responsible for your response to God's leadership. His is to respond to God's leadership in his life. If one or the other chooses NOT to respond correctly, that is NOT the responsibility of the other. (did that make sense?)

God bless you and give you great peace.

3:04 p.m.  
Blogger Curious Servant said...

Nice post!

I spent a little while reading through your blog and I thought I should just leave a note here before I moved on.

Thank you!

3:45 p.m.  
Blogger Jennifer said...

You go, girlfriend!!!!!

:0)

5:17 p.m.  
Blogger Saija said...

i've been in that situation too ... and i find that when i don't have the love to give, the Lord will step in and love through me ...

7:48 p.m.  
Blogger Paul said...

Hi Becky,

Just wanted you to know what an encouragement your blog is. I appreciate your sharing your heart and being real.

That is the one thing that the Lord has done for me over the last two and a half years as I went through chemotherapy and radiation, two majour surgeries and a divorce, not by choice after 29 years.

A lot of people who had no clue or understanding of what it was like to go through this would tell me they understand when they didn't.

But the Lord in His faithful has brought me through it all, each step of the way and given me the strength to stand, even when it seemed impossible.

Hill Country Thoughts was birthed through the events of the last three years and I know the Lord is being glorified and giving me the strength to stand and for that I am very thankful.

Just wanted you to know that I will be lifting you before the Lord that He will give you wisdom and knowledge and discernment each and everyday. That He will watch over you and bring healing.

Though I have been divorced just over a year now and now living with my children here in Georgia, the Lord has not yet released me from my vows, so I continue to pray, to lift up and to stand with the Lord for Jodie, that no matter the final chapter, He will be glorified.

There have been many a time that I have written with tears flowing and heart breaking but yet knowing that my Father was there all the time, to help me to walk this path that I am on and that He will finish in me, as He will finish in others what He has begun.

Blessings and Prayers,

Writing for the King,

Paul

8:12 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i admire your strength, becky. i know loving someone who's hurting you is not at all easy. but because God told us to love, we have to obey.

God will see you through, becky. i'll pray for you.

God bless!

8:21 p.m.  
Blogger Timothy Thompson said...

You blow me away with both your faith and your obedience to the Lord's teaching. No matter what happens you will be able to move on knowing that you did all that was asked of you. Not many of us can say that of our own experiences.

Don't give up and keep on trusting in His enduring mercy and love. It is all working together for good.

7:21 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home