Sunday, August 14, 2005

Still Seeing The Light Through The Clouds



A well meaning person said to me this week in reference to giving up on my husband, "but you have a right to be happy!" I've been thinking a lot about that statement and am now convinced that it is untrue. I started to think about the family from South America on T.V. this week that had nothing to eat, nothing to feed their precious little children with, no place to keep dry in the rain. What is their right to happiness? I thought about the Christian family in my parents church that have lost not one, not two, but three of their children, all at different times through different circumstances. What is their right to happiness? I don't believe God ever promised us the 'right' to be happy. He didn't say that as My children I will keep you from sadness or rescue you when things get tough. Instead He promised to give us joy in the midst of our circumstances. In the middle of poverty we can be happy. In the center of a hurtful and lonely marriage we can be happy. In loss, in pain, in grief, we can be happy. But it is not our right. It is our choice. And only Christ can give us the power to smile in the storm. We need to stop thinking about what is 'rightfully ours'. That kind of thinking belongs to the rest of the world. Instead we need to be thinking, "In this moment I choose to rejoice in the Lord. In the middle of this suffering I cling to His promise that the Joy of the Lord is my strength." It's not my right. It's my blessing!

Habakkuk 3:17-19 ~ "Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Savior."

8 Comments:

Blogger Pilot Mom said...

You are so right on, Becky. We gave up our "rights" when we said yes to Christ. We do have choices, like you said, but the One who has rights is Christ!

2:49 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Becky -

I found you through your comment over at David's A CORE Life yesterday (he's a very close blogging friend of mine) and read a lot of your posts. I still haven't figured out what exactly all your problems are, but appreciate your testimony and faith "witness" to others through whatever your struggles are.

You're absolutely right - we are not promised a "happy" life in this world as a right. I just blogged last Tuesday about what Solomon said in Ecclesiastes (one of my favorite books of the Bible) about how "time and chance" happen to us all.

It is, indeed, a choice, as Paul tells us that he had learned - to be content in whatever circumstances he found himself. I've been around a good bit longer than you have, but am still am having to learn that lesson DAILY, I'm afraid.

Thanks for the examples and the scripture to remind us.

P. S. Your sone is adorable!!

3:16 p.m.  
Blogger Joe said...

Found you through Steve's site.

Beautiful work! Nice pictures and this latest post is a real winner!
We are free to become slaves to Christ. What a concept!

Thanks!

3:33 a.m.  
Blogger Saija said...

you've touched on a good point ... when we stand our ground and refuse to look for the fleeting pleasures that the world seeks AND do what God asks us to do instead ... well, we look foolish ... but the "joy of the Lord" is so much sweeter than the bits of pleasure that come from seeking what our own sweet tooth whines about ... i HAVE been at those crossroads too - life changing decisions - when i choose God's path, joy follows ... way better than circumstantial happiness ... Lord bless you Becky as you keep climbing higher and higher in your walk with HIM!

5:23 a.m.  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Amen, Becky! Jesus said anyone who wants to follow Him should take up his cross. We all have crosses to bear...I'm sorry yours is so heavy. But I'm so humbled by your spirit, that even in the midst of your own pain you can look around and see others that are suffering much more. Thanks for continuing to bless me!

5:32 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're so right, Becky.

He does promise to never leave nor forsake us in the midst of the trials.

You're testimony continues to be very inspiring.

10:03 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi becky. thanks for visiting my site. hope you'll visit me more often. =)

becky, i can relate so much to your post. happiness is a choice we have to make. even in the midst of our dark circumstances, we can find joy in JESUS. i don't really know what you're going through now but one thing is for sure, GOD is with you always. HE understands your feelings.

i hope you don't mind me linking you to my site. your faith is so inspiring.

GOD bless you. c",)

6:59 p.m.  
Blogger Refreshment in Refuge said...

Beautifully stated, Becky. Happiness is not a state of being like Joy is. Happiness is fleeting and needs a constant supply of nurturing. Whereas Joy is part of the Fruit of the Spirit and as such is our right, if we will only care to look for it within our State of Being.

8:32 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home