Monday, August 15, 2005

A Lonely Embrace




Loneliness embraces me tonight. Not a gentle, loving embrace but a suffocating, heart thumping in my chest, tears spilling down my face kind of embrace. I'm here, sitting in front of this computer screen typing these words in an effort to disengage myself from it's grip. It is tenacious. It is heartless. It is not of my God. Loneliness is the one thing that can grab hold of my faith and shake it, hard. It's the toughest opponent of all for me. And with loneliness comes a host of other parasitic feelings; like pity and anger and fear. And so it builds until faith and hope are just distant flashes in the night sky. But I know, as a child of God, I must move towards those tiny lights for they are truth. They are telling me that I am not alone, the Creator of the Universe sits beside me. How dare I feel alone in His presence? His promises speak to my heart and I feel the grip relax just slightly. This is what I hear: The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." Deuteronomy 31:8 The tears have stopped, the weight has lifted from my chest and I can breathe easier. So I say, "more Father, I need more." And I find these words, "When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze." Isaiah 43:2 And I am free. Oh, there will be more nights, more days, more moments like this one, but my Father will be there for them all. He understands. He has suffered loneliness as well, He has felt forsaken. I'm so glad He did. He must have known that we would need to know that He has walked this same path and felt the tight grip of loneliness.

5 Comments:

Blogger David Warren Fisher said...

Becky: I feel your pain! Thanks for being, like me, honest and transparent. It's only when we admit our weaknesses that we can be made strong...in Him. Pull that quilt over you and bask in God's loving care! He cares and understands...deeply!

In His love,

David

9:13 p.m.  
Blogger Timothy Thompson said...

As great as our cyber friendships are they do not replace face to face friendships. Would that we could all sit around a cup of coffee or tea and listen and share and just love each other.

We are never alone when Jesus is with us and yet we also have a need for flesh and blood support. I hope you have some of those friends who you can turn to in those exceedingly difficult times.

But always feel free to turn to your cyber friends who are genuinely family in the Lord. We're here and we care.

Of course, by the time we check our inboxes, the crisis has often passed, but it may help to reach out anyway.

I am amazed at your faith and how those words of Scripture pull you out the depths. In so many ways, you are probably the strongest person I know. What lessons you are learning; what blessings you are receiving; what strength you are gaining through weakness.

10:44 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

becky,i know pain and grief. i've been there not so long ago. the pain was so evident i thought it'll last forever. GOD pulled me through.

whatever you're going through now, GOD is with you. HE will never leave you. rest in the truth that this too shall pass.

GOD bless you.

2:09 a.m.  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Becky, so many times I have been comforted by the thought that Jesus was also lonely, and rejected. He knows exactly how it feels.

5:35 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When it all boils down, the journey is ours to go alone with the Lord; but our relationships with other Believers is vital. These kinds of friends help to spur us on in the race! I also pray that you have some 'Jesus-with-skin-on' friends to do life with.

And of course, we're here!

I agree - Jesus certainly knew what loneliness was like. Sometimes I think that it is in these kinds of times that we experience God in a profound way. And so many times, this is when major spiritual growth takes place.

I love the way you write, Becky. You do have the gift of painting such beautiful pictures with your words.

God bless~

11:08 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home