Tuesday, October 04, 2005

I'm Not Wonder Woman...I'm Gilligan!


You know that verse in the bible that says God will not give us more than we are able to bear? Does that verse ever make you angry? That's how I feel tonight. I'm sitting here and I'm wondering, "Who does God think I am? Am I Wonder Woman? Am I made of steel with industrial sized rivets and bolts holding my thick crocodile skin together? Am I 'Spock', all logic and no emotion? Am I sturdy as an Oak tree? Am I stronger than an ox? Do I have powers yet untapped to see into the future or make all my troubles vanish with the flick of a magic wand? Surely He has mistaken me for someone else. He's gone and got me mixed up with a woman of tremendous courage and iron-clad faith and He seems to think I'm fearless and powerful and wise.

I am none of the above. I am Gilligan. I am made of wax and marshmallow. My skin is made of the same stuff as spider webs and I am being held together by no-name brand bandaids. I am all emotion, all feeling and little logic. I certainly don't have a clue what the future holds and my magic wand is broke! I'm terrified, my faith is faltering, I feel powerless and dumb.

Perhaps, and this is pure speculation, I am all of these things combined. The first stuff is what I can be through Him and the second stuff is what I am without Him. Or even better, perhaps no-name brand bandaids are all He requires of me. He's the superglue! And I all I have to do is hang on for just long enough, not make any sudden moves, but wait quietly for the glue to dry and hold all things together. And when He's ready, when the broken bits are fixed, He'll let me sore again.

12 Comments:

Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

wow that was an amazing post!! I am going to read it again, what wisdom there was in it!

11:34 p.m.  
Blogger Joe said...

As long as He is the Superglue, you will soar again!

3:11 a.m.  
Blogger Joe said...

As long as He is the Superglue, you will soar again!

3:11 a.m.  
Blogger Dave. said...

Becky, you are in my prayers and thoughts. May you continue to look to God "Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's." Psalm 103 v5

5:55 a.m.  
Blogger Lightseeker said...

I am at awe with this post.
When you feel like you are about to fall apart in weeks to come. Please come back and reread this post! It will be of great strength to you.

God Bless~

6:13 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God always pushes us just long enough that we begin to not resist and fall, because it is then that He can catch us and hold us tight. Love from another Gilligan in this world.

1:31 p.m.  
Blogger Saija said...

by everyone's comments, you have something else in common with Gilligan - a group of faithful friends ... and it's particularly nice to have praying friends, don't you think?

the superglue of the spirit holds pretty well i hear!

(hugs)

8:44 p.m.  
Blogger An Ordinary Christian said...

Becky, loved this post. The temporary is temporary. The eterna°

2:42 p.m.  
Blogger IMO said...

You are so great at writing down your feelings Becky. I could learn from you. I'm not so great at identifying how I feel sometimes and I just stuff it instead of expressing it...You inspire me.

9:03 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you're always in my prayers, becky.

1:50 a.m.  
Blogger Kitty Cheng said...

Becky, you are such an inspiration. The idea that God is the superglue is just so comforting! Yes just hang on, and hang out with Him. You'll soar like an eagle soon dear.

9:00 a.m.  
Blogger What's my Mission said...

WOW!!! Such frank and wonderful honesty... Refreshing... It's so awesome when people get real and don't try to cover up their real emotion with a pasted on smile. Thank you for that post!!! It made me smile, it made me think.
God Bless.

8:30 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home