Friday, September 23, 2005

Finding God In The Storm


Tonight, as I sit here fretting about getting my place unpacked and my homework done, I'm reminded of those in Texas and Louisiana who are fleeing their homes as the storm approaches. I can be so caught up in my own petty problems that I forget about those in this world who are facing 'the real thing' tonight.

It's hard to understand why God would allow such devastation. After all, He is Omnipotent! He speaks and the winds are stilled. He could stop Rita in here tracks and not a ripple would be seen on the waters of the Gulf. And yet, she is still bearing down hard and it looks as if she will leave her indelible mark on the landscape and on the lives of the people who call those places in her path, home.

And so, I ask God tonight to protect human life. And I pray that His children, those who call themselves Christians will respond to the need like never before and turn this terrible storm into a triumph of Christian love and obedience. I pray that the winds of Christ's love would blow through peoples hearts and souls and those that don't know Him will find Him in the storm and in the revealing calm that follows.

And for those of us who are fortunate enough to crawl into the warmth of our own dry, cozy beds may we stop for a moment before we drift into a safe slumber and thank God for His grace and mercy.

7 Comments:

Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

I have wondered what God's purpose in all this is. I mean He is the Master of the Wind, the Maker of the Rain, He holds the oceans in their place, so why did He allow this?

I will pray for the victims, for safety for those as the storm approaches and for our President, our leaders to have wisdom, strength and insight in these critical times.

4:06 a.m.  
Blogger Joe said...

If we knew why God intervened in one instance and didn't in another, we would be God and that would not be good.

We live in, and are contributors to, a fallen world.

When Jesus said there would be earthquakes in diverse places, He did not say they would not affect His own.

Our comfort, then, in times of trouble and turmoil, but come from the assurance of the suffeciency of His grace in christ and not in our understanding.

Still, it is easy to wonder, isn't it?

Now that Rita has struck, we must determine our response to God and to our fellow man.

Let's show His love by our actions.

(Sorry about the deleted comment. I was helping Bonnie with something on her blog and forgot to sign out.)

9:04 a.m.  
Blogger Refreshment in Refuge said...

I like what Joe said about us not being God. The smartest man to ever live wrote a whole book about not understanding the Why of everything and called it vanity of vanities.

Praise God that He is in control and that this life is just a temporary abode until we can be with Jesus for eternity. In my life, I have lost everything I own, twice. God taught me that it is just things and that He had something better in mind for me. I don't expect anyone to understand that, though.

7:17 p.m.  
Blogger David Warren Fisher said...

Becky: Praying for you this morning! You aren't up yet (as I write this) but I've lifed you up before the Father and He told me that Jesus was interceding for you all night long.

Be encouraged today!

David

4:54 a.m.  
Blogger Kitty Cheng said...

Hi Becky, this is a great picture. I've borrowed it in my blog to encourage others who need it too. Thank you for your posts. I really enjoy reading your blog.

7:25 a.m.  
Blogger An Ordinary Christian said...

Hi Becky, it would really be difficult to lose everything. I used to say that I never want to move again, and I don't. But I can't close my mind to what God wants to do in my life. So, got to stay flexible and moveable. God bless you, dear.

9:38 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

always praying for you, becky.

6:23 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home