Monday, October 03, 2005

Consider The Lilies!


God had a message for me today and it followed me around the university campus. In two separate and very unrelated classes, the professors read from the same passage in the bible:

Matthew 25-33

"Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
"And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.


I truly believe that those words were sent for me. I've been so worried about where I'm living, wondering how safe we are here, and how we'll make ends meet as I study. It's been on my mind and I have shared my worries with no one but the Lord. I asked Him last night to give me a promise to hang on to, something tangible. And so, through the mouths of my professors came the words of Christ. And I know tonight that He has not forsaken me, even though it feels at times that I am all alone. He knows what I need! What a relief!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

God will provide. He did promised it. He'll do it. God loves us so and he will not forsake us. God bless you, becky.

8:51 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, Bonnie over at God's Most Wanted, has so kindly tagged me with the following meme:

1. Go into your archives.
2. Find your 23rd post.
3. Post the fifth sentence (or closest to it).
4. Post the text of the sentence in your blog along with these instructions.
5. Tag five other people to do the same thing.

My 23rd post was from my June 30, 2005 entry:
"Love Moves in Mysterious Ways" (Song by Julia Fordham)
The 5th sentence was:
"You and I wouldn't even try making sense of it."

Now it's my turn to tag five people:

1. Darlyn from My Very Own, My Family
2. Andrea from Adventures of an Ordinary Christian
3. Cindy-lou from The song In My Heart
4. Gina from Refreshment in Refuge
5. Becky from The Faith Expedition

Just for fun. God bless!

3:09 a.m.  
Blogger Joe said...

Those are the most assuring words in all of scripture.

Thanks!

3:31 a.m.  
Blogger Kitty Cheng said...

Isn't it great that the Lord just speaks to us through HIS people. He spoke to you through the mouths of your professors, and He spoke to me through your post Becky. Thanks so much for sharing.

7:28 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just catching up on the last couple of days of entries. I've decided . . . you need a writing career! Maybe write devotions for us who are continually encouraged by you and what God is working out through you. Praise to our most amazing, awesome, merciful and loving God!!! Blessings - LJ

8:55 a.m.  
Blogger Refreshment in Refuge said...

Becky, how sweet the sound of God's voice. No matter who speaks the Word of God, we always find truth there and how He intends to keep every promise and us safe and secure in his grasp. Nothing can tear us from the double graps of Jesus and the Father.

Remember David. The little scrawny runt took 5 stones and a slingshot against the huge giant. It wasn't because David thought he coule beat Goliath. It was because David knew his God was bigger and badder than Goliath. David compared his problems to how Big God is. That is something I have to be reminded of constantly.

3:20 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home