Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Waiting For Rain



It's been pouring down rain for the past two days. I have always loved the rain. It is fresh and life-giving and cleansing. As a child, I lived in a desert, complete with cactus and tumble weed and rattlesnakes...right here in British Columbia, Canada. I remember vividly the smell of the sagebrush just after the rain. The scent of sage hung heavy in the air like a Thanksgiving turkey perfume. We would step outside, my Mom and I, and breathe deep the luscious aroma.

As I looked out at the rain this afternoon, the words to an old Gospel song flitted across my mind: "When my soul gets thirsty Lord, You make it rain for me." And as I sit here tonight, I am in desperate need of my Father to replenish my thirsty soul with His life-giving rain. I pray that it will wash over me, soak me to the bone, drench me. And as the drops run over my hair and down my face, may it cleanse away any impurities and nourish instead wisdom and hope and faith and love. "My soul is thirsty Lord, please make it rain for me."

5 Comments:

Blogger ukok said...

OOH YEAH, I get to comment first!

Can you pray for a little replenishing rain to fall upon this soul over here in England,Becky?

God bless.

4:42 a.m.  
Blogger Jennifer said...

That's beautiful, Becky. I had no idea there was desert in BC!

5:53 a.m.  
Blogger IMO said...

Your writing is so beautiful! I even remember the smell of the sage after the rain, in the desert-it is one you never forget. :)

9:36 a.m.  
Blogger The Faith Expedition said...

Ukok...yes, I will ask the Father to cover you in His life-giving rain!

12:15 p.m.  
Blogger Joe said...

I'm with Jenifer...I did not know there was a desert there, either.

1:48 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home