Saturday, September 03, 2005

Aloha And Welcome!


Well, today I went back to University. It was orientation and registration day for new students and 'old' ones like me who were returning after 17 years! When I arrived on campus I was met by about a hundred laughing, dancing, highly enthusiastic student 'helpers' all dressed in bright Hawaiian shirts directing me to go this way and that. The gap between them, as they yelled, "Welcome to Trinity Western!", at the top of their lungs and me, as I slinked around in my hair dyed to hide all the grey, felt enormous! First stop ... the Welcome Tent. Here I was instructed to pick up my student package containing I.D. card, mailbox key etc. and class schedule. Wouldn't you know it, I was no where to be found. They hunted high and low for any sign of me actually belonging there but nothing could be found. So, I was sent inside to see the Registrar. Once there, I was met with more befuddled people who couldn't find me. They sent me to the student center. More confusion there, still no sign of my 'package'. The student center sent me back to the Registrar. They sent me to a new place. The new place sent me back to the first place. So the first place sent me to another new place. They sent me back to the second place. Pant, pant. Yikes, my feet are killing me already! More Hawaiian helpers yelled welcome at me. Someone offered me a new cell phone plan, a student credit card, the University paper. Still no package. I walked past some very cute 'Hawaiian' jocks at tables set up to nab potential athletes. No one said welcome. Still no package. Suddenly, my cell phone rang out its familiar Caribbean salsa ring and a voice informed me to head back to the original office. My package was found! I did belong! Next I went to a meeting for mature students. I was the only one there. I felt ancient. My feet were burning, my back was aching and the pimply faced 'Hawaiian' waiting to greet the mature students looked as lost as I did. That was enough for me! I bought my text books (one of them cost $140.00!) and drove out past more screaming 'Hawaiians' yelling something about 'see you in class' and I was gone! I went and got a Dairy Queen Mocha MooLatte and tried to drown myself in icecream and chocolate. I am now going to bed. I hope this doesn't kill me!

9 Comments:

Blogger Dave. said...

Becky, I have to admit to a smile on my face as I read this post! When I was preparing to leave the military I started some classes at the local college and oh boy did I feel old! Just keep on keeping on and in God's strength you will prevail.
God bless you Becky.

6:05 a.m.  
Blogger Pilot Mom said...

Whew! At least that is behind you...now comes the first day of classes! I'm excited to hear how the Lord will be using you, Becky.

8:26 a.m.  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I have been there! Returning to college after so many years is definitely intimidating and, yes, quite a workout! I had indeed forgotten how big a college campus was. You definitely deserved that Mocha MooLatte! You are going to have a blast. And chances are, you'll meet more eturning "mature" students like yourself to hang out with. I can't wait to hear about your adventures!

7:21 p.m.  
Blogger Saija said...

i am chuckling! i am picturing myself there, at the age of 51 (i am one year short of my degree in theology), confused even if they did find my package!

i think you will have many adventures, and i hope you bring us along ...

blessings!

7:33 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's so nice, becky. i'm thinking of taking up another course, just a short one. something that i could use when i join my husband in the States to work. you're such an inspiration, becky.

God bless you.

7:55 p.m.  
Blogger Joe said...

It is so good to find out that you are, that you were found, and that you belong.

Way to perservere!

4:17 a.m.  
Blogger David Warren Fisher said...

Becky: Been there, done that! I went to Bible School when I was in my early to mid 40's after raising two sons and watching them get married. I was the "old" guy. Now I'm really "old".

But, as the Psalmist said, "I was young and now I am old, yet I have NEVER seen the righteous forsaken or His seen begging bread." - Psalm 37:25

Hold your head high, daughter of the King! You have such sage advice to give to pimply faced young people in Hawaiian (sp?) shirts.

Love,

David

2:21 p.m.  
Blogger Lightseeker said...

You are one brave soul! LOL!
God bless you on your endeavor!!

3:29 p.m.  
Blogger Timothy Thompson said...

Sounds like lots of fun. Hope things go well and you enjoy being in the formal learning mode again.

6:27 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home