Thursday, December 29, 2005

Simply Holding on and Trusting Him for 2006


I have read this poem over and over during this past difficult year. To some, its words may seem unbearably harsh, even cruel. But to those of you who have also spent time on the anvil, you will understand why it has brought me both hope and peace. As I move into the new year, I pray that my time in the furnace is nearly done. But if not, then I pray that I may at least be a testament of God's grace as He continues to give me just enough strength and courage to make it through.
Pain's furnace heat within me quivers,
God's breath upon the flame does blow;
And all my heart in anguish shivers
And trembles at the fiery glow;
And yet I whisper, "As God will!"
And in the hottest fire hold still.
He comes and lays my heart, all heated,
On the hard anvil, minded so
Into His own fair shape to beat it
With His great hammer, blow on blow;
And yet I whisper, "As God will!"
And at His heaviest blows hold still.
He takes my softened heart and beats it;
The sparks fly off at every blow'
He turns it o'er and o'er and heats it,
and lets it cool, and makes it glow;
And yet I whisper, "As God will!"
And in His mighty hand hold still.
Why should I complain? for the sorrow
Then only longer-lived would be;
The end may come, and will tomorrow,
When God has done His work in me;
So I say trusting, "As God will!"
And trusting to the end, hold still.
~ Julius Sturm

4 Comments:

Blogger An Ordinary Christian said...

I didn't get your email. My email address is andrearb@frontiernet.net. Liked the poem. Thanks for sharing and for being sustained in Him. I'm looking forward to writing more on "my body and my food."

6:49 a.m.  
Blogger Dave. said...

We certainly are in Gods' Hands and there we will be sustained.
Becky, you are certainly a wonderful example of His sustaining power. You have trusted Him and He will continue to guide you and empower you for His purposes in your life.
May God continue to bless and keep you and Kyle.
Dave. [hugs]

8:42 a.m.  
Blogger Joe said...

You have found the secret in total submission.

Our pains, and each of us has them, will be mittigated, if not now, then.

God bless you, and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

5:16 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

becky, you're such an inspiration of strength and courage to me. i pray that 2006 will be a better year for you and your family. you're always in my prayers.

God bless you and happy new year!!!

9:57 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home