Monday, May 30, 2005

Nearer Is He Than Breathing

There is a wonderful line in a poem that reads, "Nearer is He than breathing, nearer than hands and feet." I sometimes forget that God is waiting to just talk with me. I'm quick to call on Him when fear and discouragement overtake. I'm fast to seek His counsel when faced with a difficult question. I am hasty in running to Him when loneliness grips me. However, I'm so slow in just spending consistent, regular, committed time with Him. I've never been good at having a dependable and steady prayer life. Its part of an entire package of self-discipline that I seem to have forgotten to pick up when God was handing out the packages of character somewhere at the starting-line. And so, I have run this race haphazardly and without much self-discipline. It's been mostly hit and miss, cross my fingers and hope for the best. What I want is to set goals for my day and complete them. Set goals for my life and cross the finish line. Instead, I'm lumbering, staggering along never really knowing for sure if I'll make it. And so, today I have been reminded that He is near and He is waiting for me to spend time with Him. And He longs for me to live a disciplined life because He knows that ultimately I will be the better for it. Please excuse me now while I spend some time with my Lord who is waiting so near.

4 Comments:

Blogger Maggie Ann said...

Could you tell me the name of the poem? Or, post it? It sounds wonderful. Enjoying your blog :-)

5:41 p.m.  
Blogger Timothy Thompson said...

Becky, I'm not a whole lot different. That self-discipline thing usually leads me into a bunch of legalism and high standards that I then try to live up to by my own strength. Ultimately, I end up crashing and burning. I must have been in that same place that you were when they handed out that self-discipline package.

I too have been trying to reclaim my prayer life. It is sweet and joyous and good to be there with Him, but it sometimes seems such a struggle to leave the computer or turn off the TV or put down the book in order to spend some time in prayer.

But, it amazes me what even a few minutes each morning does for my heart and mind. So I'll keep trying and you keep trying and God, in His infinite mercy and grace will come alongside and help us.

5:53 p.m.  
Blogger Saija said...

i hear you, and know where you are coming from ... but on the other hand, i don't know what the Lord has in mind for you ... your desire to be closer to Him, must please His heart so much ... the picture you chose to use (i have that saved for an occasion too!) says it all ... dontcha think? we are His children, who He loves and desires the best for ... "take my yoke, for my burden is light ... " ... for me, the struggle is to not be so hard on myself - to realize that the Lord forgives (and then forgets! wish i could do that!) ...

i talk to Him all day, even as i stumble to the coffee maker (which is exactly what i did this morning, even before giving Leo his meds!) ... just praying for strength for the day ...

sorry, just rambling on your blog! :) ... the Lord WILL bless you, Becky, your desire to know and love Him better is just so evident to us, your blod buds - how much more to Him?

((hugs))

6:34 a.m.  
Blogger IMO said...

I am with you! I am also with Tim. I tend to force myself to spend time with Him when that is not what He wants and then I get into the legalistic-works thing. It's like building a relationship with a spouse or a child, it takes work but it has to come from our heart--that's a hard thing. I have a hard time with discipline in anything, I tend to just do what I am drawn to do at any given time--I know--BAD, but I'm getting better.

3:20 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home