Friday, March 04, 2005

The Mighty Power Of Words

"Sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me!" We used to chant those words to each other as children, but even then I knew that it was not true. The sting of careless words echoed on in my mind for a long time. As a matter of fact, I can still here some of those childhood words replaying like a CD on 'continuous shuffle' in my 41 year old head. Thoughtless words were tossed my way early this morning and I can still feel the bite of them as I sit here at the computer tonight. It's made me think about all the times I've said things that hurt others. How I wish I could take them back. How I wish life had a delete button or a backspace key. There are so many things I wish I hadn't said. The good news is, words also have the power to heal and encourage and lift someone's spirits. And there are many of those lovely words also still playing in my mind. I want to be a person that uses my words to heal, not destroy; encourage, not trample down; show love, not hate. As I crawl under my quilt tonight, I will ask my Father to be the guardian of my words. I will ask the Holy Spirit to be the inspiration of my words, and I will ask Christ to be the master of my words.

Psalm 19:14 ~ May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have prayed so often that God would help me guard my ungrateful tongue that I am expecting any day to wake up without one. I so struggle with encouraging and affirming the people I love the most. Sarcasm has been an ingrained tool of protection.
Please Lord, be with my sister Becky - guide her thoughts and her words to speak your healing spirit of truth.
Blessings - LJ

2:59 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home