Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Hope Is Not Fatalistic Resignation

"Hoping does not mean doing nothing. It is not fatalistic resignation. It means going about our assigned tasks, confident that God will provide the meaning and the conclusion. It is not compelled to work away at keeping up appearances with a bogus spirituality. It is the opposite of desperate and panicky manipulations, of scurrying and worrying. And hoping is not dreaming. It is not spinning an illusion or fantasy to protect us from our boredom or our pain. It means a confident, alert expectation that God will do what he said he will do. It is imagination put in the harness of faith. It is a willingness to let God do it in his way and in his time. It is the opposite of making plans that we demand that God put into effect, telling him both how and when to do it".-- Eugene Peterson.

As I crawl under my quilt tonight, I will find comfort in knowing that I am doing my best and can relax in knowing God can and will do the rest. "My hope is built on nothing less than Jesus blood and righteousness. I dare not trust the sweetest frame but wholly lean on Jesus name. On Christ the solid rock I stand!"

3 Comments:

Blogger Kel said...

Thanks for sharing this gem of a qoute - it spoke to my heart tonight.

2:04 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to thank you for this post as well. Hope is something that sometimes misses the connection between heart and head in me. Sometimes if feels too hard to 'hope'. That it would take too much effort to 'hope'. But our God is awesome and He knows my struggles, and meets me in my sometimes small 'hope' states to remind me His cost to give it to me. I kind of catagorize hope into the same bin as faith. That even hope as small as a mustard seed is still hope in a pre tree condition, and will eventually have abundant fruit. Praise God!!

9:36 a.m.  
Blogger The Faith Expedition said...

Kel & LJ...you're welcome. It really stuck a chord with me as well and I wanted to share it.
God Bless

7:46 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home