Thursday, March 03, 2005

The Elephant In The Room

I'm terrible at confrontation. I mean really terrible. I'd just as soon pretend there is no problem as address it. However, I have discovered that this is not a healthy approach to life. The other day, someone who is helping me tremendously through this difficult time gave me a really good analogy. He said a problem not dealt with honestly and up front is like an elephant in the room. Everyone knows it's there. You can't miss it. It's over there, in the corner just staring at you. At first, you can probably skirt around it. You can turn up the T.V. so you can't hear it, turn your back on it and play the 'I can't see you, so you're not there' game, throw a colorful blanket over it and call it something else. But eventually, the elephant crap will start to pile up. You can push it into the farthest corner, try plugging your nose, but sooner or later the crap will start to spread across the room. It will begin to pile up so high around you that you will finally have to do something about it. I'm afraid I've let a lot of elephant crap build up around me. Time to start shoveling and hopefully learn a valuable lesson. Deal with the elephant right away, and if need be, call in an expert 'Mahout' to handle the beast. As I crawl under the quilt tonight I will ask God to give me the strength of character I need to be a person who faces the elephant head on. I'll also ask Him to help me confront with love and gentleness and a sensitive spirit.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful analogy! It is so true, and it confirms what I've been thinking about my own marriage. We have a giant elephant in the room, and neither one us wants to admit it. I start to do a little shovelling, and it only disturbs it and makes it smell worse. Air-freshner is only a temporary fix. The trick now is how can I get my husband to see the same elephant? You know? Thanks for sharing this, I really needed it!

8:58 a.m.  
Blogger Jennifer said...

This is great. I'm actually writing a book called The Elephant Hunter. See, I was the one in my family going, "Look! There's an elephant!" And everyone else was going, "What elephant? There's no elephant." I look forward to hearing more about your own elephant. God bless!

11:02 a.m.  
Blogger The Faith Expedition said...

hey Jennifer...I've had a couple of those tests. They are brutal. Unfortunately, I never fainted so I had to continue on through the entire process.

By the way, you're writing a book? That's awesome. Something I've wanted to do for such a long time. One day, I may find the courage to begin.

11:29 a.m.  
Blogger The Faith Expedition said...

Hey LJ...yes, we all have those elephants, especially in marriage. At least most of my friends I have talked to have admitted they have them in their rooms too. Life would be so much less complicated if we learned to communicate properly and address issues as they arise! I pray God will give you the strength you need to face yours. Blessings.

11:48 a.m.  
Blogger Pilot Mom said...

The thing about elephants is that they are so BIG! One can't just shove it 'under the carpet' hoping that no one will notice!

12:21 p.m.  
Blogger IMO said...

I've had many elephants! But with me, they are more like Hephalumps (colored elephants that no one else sees. You see, because I come off as someone who likes confrontation. I do, to a point, but I don't like to deal with the "really" tough things because truly I am very thin-skinned and I get hurt really easily.

8:48 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home