Thursday, June 09, 2005

Swimming Lesson

Today is a gift from God. Often, I am so bogged down with the burdens of my circumstances that I forget to stop and appreciate everything that I do have. It's so easy to wallow in self-pity and drown in depression and beautiful, gifted, fortunate moments can slip by almost without notice. Yesterday, I spent the morning with my son and my girlfriend at a local pool. It was baby's first time and he had a blast. As I look back on that experience I marvel at the fact that we could go to a pool complete with a water slide, fountains, baby pools, simulated beach, a giant tug boat to play on and even a little 'river' where you can lay back and just ride the currents. And then I think about the children of this world who don't even have enough clean water to fill a cup for a cool drink, and there goes my little sweetheart, around the little river for another ride. Gallons and gallons and gallons of water, just to play in! Oh, we are so incredibly blessed. Oh, we are so often forgetful of what we have. Oh, I am so often ungrateful. Please forgive me Lord! So today, I have made a decision to not worry, fret, complain or take for granted the blessings in my life. Instead, I'm going to praise my Father for His goodness to me. I'm going to ask Him to make me truly mindful of all I have. I'm going to enjoy my moments with my son without tears and sadness. A day without self-pity. A day without bitterness and anger. A day ruled by a grateful heart and a blessed spirit.

4 Comments:

Blogger Pilot Mom said...

Oh Becky, how true! I made a decision several days ago to find something positive about my psoriasis. After years of bemoaning I had it...I finally was able to say thank you Lord that mine is the little red dots and not the huge white scaly patches that can cover whole areas of one's body. It's a little thing but I was able to find something good out of it!

11:32 a.m.  
Blogger rev-ed said...

I'm finding post after post echoing this same sentiment today (right after I blogged about it). Why we continue to seek more when we have so much is beyond me.

1:27 p.m.  
Blogger Saija said...

Amen, Becky ... me too ... i am so blessed ... even with leo's chronic pain, we can whole-heartedly say "thank you, Lord that we live in a society that has meds, doctors, insurance, etc etc " ... so much "good stuff" if we just take a look around ...

so glad you and baby had a wonderful time! how special for you both!

7:36 p.m.  
Blogger susanwalkergirl said...

Becky...I can see why David Fisher recommends your website.

Your comments are so refreshingly, honest and transparent. Sometimes we think we are alone in our struggles, doubts, faith and what happens in between. It is comforting to know that others have similar feelings.

By your sharing your walk and observations...I'm sure others will be able grow along with you.

Thank you for being a willing servant of God. He will bless you and be able to use you mightily.

Susan Bunts

10:13 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home