Thursday, May 12, 2005

God Must Love Me

Tonight I went to the movies and saw "Kingdom of Heaven". Besides all of the obvious emotions a follower of Christ feels when watching anything about the Crusades, I was struck by one line in particular. Balian, the lead character states a number of times throughout the movie that God doesn't know him. He felt abandoned by God because of the death of his wife and child. Near the end of the movie, after Balian had done amazing things, someone says these words to him: "God must love you, look at everything he's helped you do." The instant the words reached my ears, the tears began to roll down my face. And there in the darkness of the theatre I knew that God must still love me, look at all He's helped me do! When others would have given up, He has helped me persevere. When disappointment and hurt has doubled me over, He has lifted my head. When I could have chosen to turn my back and run, He has turned me around and held my hand as I stood firm in the face of adversity. When I have come to those moments when my brain has said, "enough, I can't take any more", my heart has heard Him whisper to me that I don't have to take any of it at all, He will carry this burden for me. I have not done amazing things by the worlds measure, but I have done more than I ever would have imagined I could in this battle. And it's because God loves me and in the knowledge of that alone, I stand on the ramparts and wave my flag of victory! "Satan, don't count me out just yet! You have thrown your best at me and I still know that God loves me. And in that, and that alone, I stand against you and claim this truth: Christ has conquered you!"

Shouts of joy and victory resound in the tents of the righteous: "The Lord's right hand has done mighty things! ~ Psalm 118:15

But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. ~ 1 Corinthians 15:57

5 Comments:

Blogger David Warren Fisher said...

Becky:

So good to read your "post" and to know that you continue to sense the Father's love in the midst of this horrendous wilderness of your soul. He whispers "peace" when clatter and calamity surround us. He's the eternal GOD and He's also the great I AM who holds your hand in the NOW.

Lean hard on Him!

4:02 a.m.  
Blogger David Warren Fisher said...

Becky:

So good to read your "post" and to know that you continue to sense the Father's love in the midst of this horrendous wilderness of your soul. He whispers "peace" when clatter and calamity surround us. He's the eternal GOD and He's also the great I AM who holds your hand in the NOW.

Lean hard on Him!

4:02 a.m.  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Becky, the Lord brought this to mind for you:

Psalm 11
In the LORD I take refuge. How then can you say to me: "Flee like a bird to your mountain. For look, the wicked bend their bows;
they set their arrows against the strings to shoot from the shadows
at the upright in heart. When the foundations are being destroyed,
what can the righteous do?" The LORD is in his holy temple; the LORD is on his heavenly throne.
He observes the sons of men; his eyes examine them.

5:59 a.m.  
Blogger Timothy Thompson said...

Amen, Becky! Amen!

11:07 p.m.  
Blogger IMO said...

Jesus loves me is my favorite song. My mother sang it to me when I was little and I have sung it to my Gracie since she was in the womb. At two, she knows the words by heart and the truth of them. I pray that she will never forget. My husband really wants to see that movie; was it really good?

9:31 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home