Wednesday, May 04, 2005

He Longs To Be Gracious To Me

C.H. Spurgeon has an incredible knack for having penned, many years ago, exactly how I am feeling today. In this mornings devotional this is what he had to say:

"My case is urgent, and I do not see how I am to be delivered; but this is no business of mine. He who makes the promise will find ways and means of keeping it. It is mine to obey His commands; it is not mine to direct His counsels. I am His servant, not His solicitor. I call upon Him, and He will deliver."

How amazing is that? It is not mine to direct His counsels! That's exactly what I have been trying to do. I've been trying to tell the Almighty God of the universe how to do His job. How incredibly arrogant! How humbling to see it written this way. It was like a lightbulb turned on over my head. "I get it Lord! I think I truly get it!" He promises to deliver. It may be in the way I am thinking. It may not. As a matter of fact, He might have something bigger, better, more marvelous planned for me and I certainly don't want to limit His grace to just what I have planned. Doesn't scripture say He can do more than anything we could ever ask or think? Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us. ~ Eph. 3:20
And doesn't the bible also say that He longs to be gracious to us? Yet the LORD longs to be gracious to you; he rises to show you compassion. For the LORD is a God of justice. Blessed are all who wait for him! Isa. 30:18 Who am I that He longs, longs to be gracious to me? It fills Him with joy that He can give me the desires of my heart. Isn't that a humbling thought? This doesn't mean that I stop talking to Him and telling Him what those desires are, but in the end, I must simply trust Him to answer how He sees fit. "Thank you Father for loving me this much. It's hard to fathom such perfect love. It's hard to imagine it is mine for the taking. But I willingly and humbly accept it with a heart that is at peace with my life."

3 Comments:

Blogger David Warren Fisher said...

Becky: Thanks for your note today!
I went back and read the "post" you mentioned. I sensed that that was the situation. Be assured of my ongoing love and prayer support, dear friend. I've been there...20 years ago. Aren't you thankful for God's loving quilt which covers you and protects you eternally. Stand fast in Him.

4:12 a.m.  
Blogger Pilot Mom said...

Becky, what an uplifting post! You have turned a major corner, dear friend!

I love the way you express yourself. The Lord has blessed you with the ability to use the written word!

8:49 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Becky, yes, a very uplifting and encouraging post!

The first verse that popped into my head after reading was:

The LORD your God is in your midst, a victorious warrior
He will exult over you with joy,
He will be quiet in His love,
He will rejoice over you with shouts of joy (Zeph 3:17)

What an amazing thought that He thinks about us in this way!!! :)

9:03 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home