Tuesday, April 19, 2005

Sweat The Small Stuff

I'm sure many of you have heard of or even read the book, "Don't Sweat The Small Stuff". It's a good book and the message is helpful. However, my Father has impressed upon me today that I need to sweat a bit more about the 'small stuff' in my life. I hear Him clearly saying to me that I need to change my attitude about the little bumps in the road, the hiccups, the inconveniences. The other day, I wrote about grace under pressure. For me, it's easier to appear faithful and trusting and show grace when faced with a big problem. However, the true test of my character comes when I spill the milk when trying to fill a bottle, or when the dog starts barking at something outside and wakes up the baby, or when I don't get enough sleep. My usual reaction is to get angry, stomp around a bit, complain out loud, yell at the dog, and sometimes even blame God for not helping me with the little things that make life more troublesome. These are the small things that I need to sweat a bit more about. I want to have a Christ-like response to the tiny annoyances in my day. I want to behave like Christ is standing right next to me when that milk hits the floor. How would I act if He were physically standing next to me? Would I shout, would I curse, would I stomp? I doubt it. And yet, He is right there and I forget about His presence and I forget about His example and I ignore His voice. To be a woman of grace when no one is watching. To be a woman of patience when no one sees. To be a woman of Godly character in private. This is my lesson. This is part of this 'expedition' towards a positive, faithful, graceful life. As I crawl under my quilt tonight, I will sweat some of the small stuff in my life and ask Christ to help me make a change. I love Him and I want to offer up to Him the best that I have. And I want to remember that He is present, He is watching, He is listening. And I will thank God, He is loving me still!

7 Comments:

Blogger Pilot Mom said...

Becky, thank you for the HB wishes for my hubby! You are so sweet.

I think you might be interested in reading a book that I have just finished. My book 'group' (myself, and 2 other ladies)*snicker* read it and discussed it. It's "Idols of the Heart: Learning to Long for God Alone" by Elyse Fitzpatrick. I know you can get it through christianbook.com and probably Amazon.com etc.

12:24 p.m.  
Blogger Jennifer said...

I am SOOOO glad you wrote this! I have always been uncomfortable with that book Don't Sweat The Small Stuff, mainly because the tag line says "and it's all small stuff". It's not all small stuff, especially to a mother struggling with a toddler all by herself. And I am just like you that I handle big stuff much, much better than the small stuff! I heard a quote one time that applies: "It's not the mountain before you that wears you down, it's the pebble in your shoe."

1:26 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh to be a woman of grace when no one is watching .... I used to disdain the Proverbs 31 woman saying "I can NEVER grow into that. That's impossible!" and I still struggle with that, but I am so thankful that my God reassures me on a daily basis that He's not finished with me yet. Blessings - LJ P.S. I don't think Christ wants us to sweat at all. Persevere - yes, sweat - maybe only perspire just a little :)

4:01 p.m.  
Blogger pete porter said...

Hi Becky,
The truth is Jesus is standing in you, not only beside you. Let this soak in you for awhile, then see if there's a difference.
Be Blessed,
Pete

8:06 p.m.  
Blogger pete porter said...

Becky,
To explain; when something comes that you can't deal with, tell Jesus to answer the door. He's just like a husband. Let him do the work while living in you.
Pete

8:22 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Becky, inspiring words for me this morning. Thank you.

Who am I when no one is looking? It is only when I allow God to truly change me that I can be that godly woman in the privacy of my own self!

7:05 a.m.  
Blogger Lionfish said...

Becky, when I'm tired - its the little things that get to me too!

The gap between the dignified Character I aspire to be...and the Charcater that I am in infinite...but as time goes on - that gap is closing...just a little!

7:29 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home