Wednesday, April 20, 2005

My Lord Knows The Way Through The Wilderness

At times, I must seem to you to have a split personality. I can write of such faith and courage in the midst of this adversity and then, like today I must tell you I feel like giving up. Abandon ship! Save yourself! Go the way of the world and look out for number one! There is a voice that whispers, "It's time to stop. You've done all you can and more. Others would have given up long ago. You deserve better. This is not what you signed up for!" I know of course, the maestro of those thoughts. I know the song of defeat he seeks to orchestrate. I know the puppeteer well. He knows which string to pull to make my head turn to the side, to bend me over, to twist me, to buckle my legs. I understand the ways of the magician. He shows me one thing but secretly has another thing hidden in the folds of his cloak. He weaves illusion and deception in and out of my thoughts. He is the master of trickery. I know, I know.

And then, just like that, just when I feel hopelessness seeping into me like water on the shore seeps into the thirsty sands, I hear my Master speaking to me. He tells me that I am not of this world. I have been called to a higher purpose. It is not all about me. I have convictions, values, principles, beliefs and the Word of Truth that speaks to me a completely different message. "Do not give up. Keep believing. The way of Christ is not the easy way, but it is the only way that will bring you true peace and joy and happiness. Hold on to your vows, your promises. Love the way Christ loves...without selfishness, without pride, without fear, without end! Hang in there Becky. Wait. Be still. Don't struggle and manipulate and thrash about and toil. Be still and know that I am God. I am at work. I have a plan."

And now, the despair and the hopelessness dissipate. The peace washes over me. The relief that I don't have to make this happen surges through my bones and refreshes me like an icy cool drink on a hot summer day.

There is a sunday school song that keeps running through my head today. It goes like this:
My Lord knows the way through the wilderness
All I have to do is follow.
My Lord knows the way through the wilderness
All I have to do is follow.
Strength for today, is mine all the way
And all that I need for tomorrow.
My Lord knows the way through the wilderness
All I have to do is follow.

10 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Becky, that was such beautiful imagery. You have really atuned your ear to hear the Master's voice. I know sometimes the connection is weak (LOL) but it's there, and you will be blessed for listening.

11:29 a.m.  
Blogger The Faith Expedition said...

Thanks seeker...I love that song too and it is one of my Theme songs for life. Thank you for sharing. You asked to know my story. If you read through my blog, starting a few weeks ago, you'll get an idea. You may regret it! :-)

Jennifer...yes, it does get hard to hear His voice through all the static sometimes. I think He is shouting for me because He too hears the interference!

11:38 a.m.  
Blogger David Warren Fisher said...

Becky: I, too, thought of the song by Casting Crowns, "Voice of Truth". If I didn't know that it was you writing that blog, I would have been really perplexed because it sounds like me, exactly. I've been there repeatedly. I've thoughts those same thoughts and then the Life, the Truth and the Way comes to me and whispers "Peace". Thanks so much for sharing your heart. You touched mine. Gratefully, David

11:59 a.m.  
Blogger Pilot Mom said...

Becky, I'm so glad you know His voice! Here are big {{{hugs}}} for you today!

2:11 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Becky, what an encouraging word today!

I thought of this lyric from a song as I read:

"Peace came and stole my shame...when You spoke my name."

That's a wonderful picture, btw.

:)

3:37 p.m.  
Blogger Pilot Mom said...

Becky, you haven't posted for today but I didn't want to wait around, in case I get tied up later and don't have time to post. But, I wanted to say that today's devotional in Streams in the Desert reminded me so much of you. Grab onto His hand (as I know you are doing) and hang on tight! You are so precious and special! {{{hugs}}}

1:51 p.m.  
Blogger IMO said...

Reading your next post before this one makes it even better! He allways comes through and, seeker of truth, that's my favorite, favorite song and what I turn to when that fear seeps in! AMEN!

2:59 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting the lyrics to "The Lord knows the way thru the Wilderness." When I was younger, I believed I was singing a song called: "The Lord knows the way thru the vast unknown." At any rate, the lyrics that I knew were in my mind, and I could not "rest" until I found the lines: "strength for today is mine all the way"... the rest of the song is basically the same. I have asked EVERYWHERE about this song. I even called my old Church. Until someone finally told me that perhaps it was a Sunday School Song. And ding: that's when it made sense. Perhaps that's why I could not find it. Looking up old Sunday School songs I finally located it.
Thank you so very much for posting it!!!!!!!

9:28 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, for the post at this early hour as I feel just as you described in the beginning seeking the Lord, I find this post ... God Bless You!

2:18 a.m.  
Anonymous Joyce said...

Sometimes those simple truths expressed in those Sunday School songs says all we need.
It was floating through my mind tonight as I am preparing to preach tomorrow - thanks for the great blog.

8:03 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home