Wednesday, January 19, 2005

I'd Rather Be Diving

I feel the urge to submerge! That was a favourite saying in my dive community a few years ago. I haven't done a dive since my honeymoon in Cozumel and I am definitely missing that beautiful peaceful feeling I get when I descend beneath the surface and become an aqua-naut. If you're reading this and you have never tried scuba diving I urge you to give it a chance. It is a magical world; a wild, untamed place. People often ask me if I'm afraid down there...of drowning, of sharks, of running out of air. To be honest, no I'm not. I do however have a healthy respect for the seriousness of the sport and the fact that I could essentially be 'playing' on someone else's dinner table. Some people have asked my if it is silent beneath the waves. No, it is anything but silent. There are sounds all around you, from the bubbles escaping from your regulator, to the beating of your own heart, to the rise and fall of your lungs and to a myriad of clicks and smacks and swishes that come from the inhabitants of inner space. I often try and explain to people what it's like to be under the ocean but words always fail me. It's haunting yet comforting, peaceful yet stormy and wild, huge yet microscopic, beautiful yet frightening. When I look at my gauge and it tells me that I'm getting low on air and I have to return to the surface, I am always sad to leave, always wishing that I could stay down there for days, maybe weeks, maybe much longer. I just can never get my fill of that mysterious, glorious, wondrous place.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lionfish said...

Only a Diver knows the feeling!!!

I went today - albeit only snorkelling, but it was great to be back in the salt water again. Love the picture.

4:42 a.m.  
Blogger The Faith Expedition said...

So true Lionfish! And when divers start talking about diving...we can go on forever. Just ask my non-diving family and friends how bored they get listening to my diving husband and friends get all worked up about diving! Usually, after about 10 min. their eyes start rolling into the backs of their heads...and we're just getting warmed up!

10:20 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home