Tuesday, January 18, 2005

I Will Never Leave Thee

There is an amazing story about a woman named Darlene Rose who was interned in a Japanese prison camp during WWII. She was a young missionary, just 20 years old when her and her husband were captured by the Japanese army. She spent 3 years enduring torture, starvation, and solitary confinement. Her husband was taken to a different camp and died before she ever saw him again. When asked about her experience during those incredibly difficult days she said, "I have no regrets. It was a way to know God in a deeper way. He was always there." She has become my 'earthly' hero and the words of her testimony which I ordered on the Internet ring in my ears on a daily basis. She never questioned God's purpose in all her suffering and instead learned to love her captors and led many to a faith in Christ. There is an amazing quote that has become my song during this difficult time that I want to share:

"There is a peace that comes after sorrow, of hope surrendered, not of hope fulfilled.
Peace that looks not upon tomorrow, but calmly on a tempest that is stilled.
It's a peace that lives not now in joyous successes, nor in the happy life of love secure,
but in the unerring strength the heart possesses from conflicts won while learning to endure.
It is a peace that is in sacrifice secluded, a life subdued from will and passion free.
Tis not the peace that over Eden brooded, but that which triumphed in Gethsemane."
~ Darlene Rose - I Will Never Leave Thee

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home