Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Losing Neverland

Tonight I went to the theatre and saw "Finding Neverland". I think it was likely a beautifully crafted movie. However, the majority of the story was lost on me. I kind of got 'stuck' straight from the beginning on the sadness of Mr. Barries wife. Many might have interpreted his neglect of her justified because of her seemingly cold and aloof demeanor. I saw it as a wife left behind while her husband became lost in his passion and the satisfaction of his own needs and I felt immense pity for her. Marriage. It requires such effort. Often we forget how carefully we have to tend our marital garden. We need to diligently water and feed it. We need to weed out the bad bits and nurture the good. We need to stop and appreciate the beauty of it. Breathe deeply the scents. Turn over the soil to keep it fresh. And if neglected, it will wither and fade and eventually die. Mr. Barrie was so intent on finding Neverland that in the process he lost it. As I crawl under my quilt tonight, I will ask the Father to help me to care deeply for my own 'garden' and with His help it will grow healthy and strong and I will not lose the magical place that is my own 'Neverland'.

4 Comments:

Blogger Pilot Mom said...

You are so right on! Marriage is a very precious gem that needs to be nutured, fed and protected. It takes commitment and dedication. There are days that one makes a choice...a choice to love the other. Then there are the days it seems to be so easy. Of course, satan would like nothing better than to destroy a strong Christian marriage so one does need to be alert to the dangers all around! Good post!

10:55 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well written post. I concur whole heartedly with you on marriage. I have yet to see "Finding Neverland", and would really like too. However, convincing Tim to go will be like pulling teeth. Actually - pulling teeth would be easier. :-) LJ

11:46 a.m.  
Blogger IMO said...

Have not seen the movie yet, but I will have to, or like everything else, wait till it's on DVD. That was a beautiful description of the care that a marriage takes. It is so easy to take things out on the closest person to us, our spouse.

4:27 p.m.  
Blogger Kel said...

I love your take on Neverland. That's what is so gorgeous about the arts - people take different things away from it - but they are all touched in some way.
thanks for sharing

12:49 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home