Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Bitterness Makes You Ugly!

My mother once said, "Bitterness makes you ugly." She's so right. No matter how 'lovely' a person may be on the outside, if they're bitter and angry on the inside, the outside somehow has an ugliness to it that's hard to explain. Last night and this morning I was covered in a blanket of bitterness. I felt short-changed, ripped off, unfairly treated. And when I looked in the mirror today, an ugly face stared back at me. I knew I had to toss off that bitter blanket and instead, cover myself with grace and forgiveness and love. The fruits of the spirit ran through my mind: Galations 5:22-23 "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, goodness, faith, kindness, self-control." I plucked these fruits from the tree of life and placed them in a basket. I will carry this basket around with me and nourish my body with their sweetness. When I feel the urge to be bitter, I will eat the fruit of patience & kindness. When I feel hope vanishing, I will eat the fruit of faith. When I feel the tears welling and the lip quiver, I will eat the fruit of joy. And when the storm clouds build and darkness falls and fear presses in on all sides, I will eat the fruit of peace.

6 Comments:

Blogger IMO said...

You are such a great writer Becky, the way you describe stuff it really puts you in the picture. E-mail me if you need to vent. I've been kinda out of it so I have not been by much, sorry. My computer is so slow now that it freezes when I'm trying to do stuff.

9:24 p.m.  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Becky, that is a great visual with the fruit basket!

5:42 a.m.  
Blogger Saija said...

i'm hearing your words ... i was so disquieted yesterday ... and today i feel badly for my lapse into that darker side of me ... today, psalm 119:66 spoke to my heart "Teach me good judgement and knowledge; for I have believed thy commandments" ... hope you are enjoying the fruit of the spirit today ... Lord bless you, as you blog for God's glory ...

10:18 a.m.  
Blogger The Faith Expedition said...

Jennifer: I picked that specific fruit basket out of hundreds that I looked at because it was so succulent, restful, colourful, and refreshing looking, just how I picture living in the Spirit to be. It still looked alive, basking in the beautiful tropical sun. I want to be fresh and alive in Christ, just like that! Oh, and I wouldn't mind basking in the tropics myself. Boy, could I use a vacation!!

10:33 a.m.  
Blogger Lionfish said...

Becky, I know how horrible bitterness can be. I have been there.

Dealing with it 'head-on' through unconditional foriveness is the only way to rid yourself of bitterness personally.

I have no idea how bad your own circumstances are but I pray tonight that God will give you the Grace to forgive. - even if it is a long process that takes time (like Joseph with his Brothers in Genesis). Get yourself, if you have never done so, a book called 'What's SO Amazing ABout Grace' (Yancey)...its life changing.

I pray for your entire family situation.

Once when I was caught up in my own bitternes, I could not even pray - (my mind seemed so numb) I just prayed the Lord's prayer... and then I just got it ..."Forgive us as tespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us".

Its so fundamental to everything.

Keep your Chin up, my blogging friend.

4:49 a.m.  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Becky, no one is allowed to go to the tropics unless they take me.

5:46 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home