Saturday, April 09, 2005

The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly

Why is it that so often, the bad and ugly experiences in our lives take a front seat in defining who we are? Why does childhood abuse, divorce or tragedy play such a critical part in shaping our psyche? If I look back over my life there have been 3 major sad incidences that have been directly responsible for some of my biggest hangups. But, the good and beautiful and simple and lovely experiences far out-weigh those negative ones, and yet seem to have less of an impact. Is it that Satan loves to make us focus on the muddy bits and tries to distract us from the shiny white bits? While I cannot change what bad things have happened in my past, I can choose to learn from those experiences and try to balance them out with all of the pretty moments in my life. As a matter of fact, I want to focus more on the good and leave the bad and the ugly at the foot of the throne. What's the point of being a Christian if God can't heal us completely from the past? Yes, there is a place for retrospection and yes, damage has been done. But it doesn't have to end there. You know, we pray so hard for healing of physical hurts and ailments, can we not also be healed from the pain of the past? As I crawl under my quilt, I will ask my Father to reach into my mind and spirit and heal me from the muddy stuff in my life. And I will have faith that He can remove it from me and toss it away, as far as the east is from the west! But I will also ask Him for the wisdom I need to learn from those experiences, for opportunities to use them to help others heal, and to rejoice in surviving thus far!

3 Comments:

Blogger IMO said...

Yes, I think Satan does like to remind us of the negetive to bring us down, but I've learned in order to turn that around, I choose to look at, what some may think of as negative, as a postive; then Satan can remind me of them as much as he wants. I the Lord says that our trials are what He is using to "perfect" us into his image, those "negative" experiences are technically more precious than all the wonderful moments. I CHOOSE to cherish the difficuties because they have made me who I am and I believe that is how the Lord sees us too. If you look at the most known Christians in time, they have all at one time or another been through horrible things: Moses, Abraham, the Apostle Paul... We cannot be perfected without them--so PRAISE THE LORD!!! Hang in the Becky--love ya sis!

12:21 p.m.  
Blogger Pilot Mom said...

Teresa, you put that so beautifully! Becky, I agree with Teresa 100%. We are continuing to pray for you, girl!

4:04 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Satan will use any tool he can get his grimey sin stained hands on to get us to turn our attentions away from Christ, if even for a moment. We had just been talking about this at our small group meeting last week. This line from an old Carmen song came to my mind. "When Satan reminds you of your past, you need only remind him of his future." I don't know about you, but that thoughts helps get my thinking back in line. Satan has no power here! Blessings - LJ

11:09 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home