Tuesday, February 01, 2005

The Stoning Of Stephen

As my small son played in his bath tonight, I opened my bible and continued my journey through the book of Acts. I read the story of Stephen and his great faith and commitment to Christ even to the point of death. I felt honoured to be in his presence as I read his story. I spoke his name out loud hoping that my voice would reach him in heaven. I thanked him for his example to me. (I don't know how doctrinally sound that was, but I did it anyways.) When I was done, I was struck by this thought: How will I be remembered when I am gone? Will I have lived a life that will honour God and be a testimony to others? Will anyone speak my name out loud and testify that I brought glory to the Father? Will God look over at me in heaven and say that I was a good soldier for Him? And then I thought about the battle I am in right now and my hurt and struggles and I wondered how this story will end? Will it please God, the way I fought this fight? Will others say that they saw God's grace through my suffering? That is my prayer. As I crawl under the quilt tonight, I will ask the Father to help me be a bright light for Him and I will thank Him for this struggle if it will in some way glorify Him.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lionfish said...

Hi Becky,

I struggle with similar thoughts...Am I living the blue print that God has for my life; what will be my legacy?

First and foremost - It is God's will that you are right where you are at this point in time;

Secondly, your greatest legacy may well be simply raising your child in the Lord. Remember some people in the Bible's greatest achievement was simply that they 'begat' someone in lineage of Jesus.

Being a Mother is a fine and worthy calling.

8:31 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wack job

11:28 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home